Preparation Before Harvest
- Ensure there are certified fire extinguishers in each piece of equipment and that everyone knows how to safely use them. This includes all farm hands and any family members that may come out to the field during harvest.
- Have the neighbors numbers ready in your phone. You may need help to fight a fire or let them know about a potential threat to their yard or fields. If you want to be even more prepared, have a discussion with them about the equipment they have available to fight a fire (tillage equipment, water trailer & hose, etc.)
- Always have a charged cell phone available to dial for help if need be.
- Have fire extinguishers in an easy-to-access location.
- Have a tillage implement and tractor available at the field you are harvesting to stop a potential field fire.
- Have a water truck or trailer with a pump and hose present at the field as you are harvesting.
- Regularly remove straw and chaff from the equipment.
- Avoid driving low clearance vehicles into or across the field as much as possible (SUV’s, cars, etc.)
- Create a tilled fire border around yardsites and bin yards. If you want to protect the residue on your fields, you can go a step further and till a border around each field after the field is combined.
From all of us at Horizon Fertilizers, we hope you have a safe harvest season.