Tank Mixing Guidelines
In the past, the acronym W.A.L.E.S was created to help remember the tank mixing order of various products. With the introduction of more products and additives, it has since expanded to become W.A.M.L.E.G.S. (pictured below).
Pesticide Tank Mixing Order
- Water Conditioners
- While the chart above does not include water conditioners in the list, it is the first product that should be placed in the tank (after it is filled ¾ with water) if needed. This includes pH adjusters such as AMS, pHix, and water conditioners that come in the case with products like Simplicity OD, Tandem, and Assert.
- Wettable Powders, Flowables (DG, DF, WDG, F)
- These are your dry products ex) Simplicity GoDri, Part A of Barricade II, Sortan IS etc.
- The wettable powders should be placed into the tank slowly and agitated thoroughly to ensure the product is suspended in the tank. Do not add the next product until this is complete. While there is only one A listed in WAMLEGS, products from each chemical type should be agitated and completely mixed before adding another product type ex) thoroughly mix all the suspension concentrates (SC) prior to adding in the emulsifiable concentrates (EC).
- Microcapsule Suspension (ME)
- Liquid product, but the active is contained within microcapsules ex) Command 360 ME
- Liquid and Soluble (SC)
- These are the “thick” liquid products ex) Bison/Liquid Achieve, Travallas, Varro, Velocity
- Emulsifiable Concentrates (EC)
- The most popular formulation for in crop herbicides ex) Axial/Brazen II, Infinity, Stellar XL, Pixxaro, Prestige XL
- High Load Glyphosates
- By high load it means the higher concentration formulations, ex) 540g ai formulations like transorb and weathermax.
- For many of the Corteva products, additional surfactant is required as well as for the group 1 graminicides. A general rule of thumb, surfactants always go into the tank last. Liberty is the exception to that rule where if a product is tank mixed with a graminicide, the adjuvant needs to go in first.
- Not included in WAMLEGS: Fertility Products
- Foliar fertility products should be added to the tank last and agitated thoroughly prior to spraying